Dwarves have two or more names. Two of them are given at birth.
- The first is made of Kuzdul, the Dwarven language. Only other Dwarves are allowed to know it (1102 LotR).
- The second is made of Westron (35 PME), but Tolkien replaced it with Norse (41 PME). This name is for use with outsiders, or those who aren’t Dwarves.
- They are often named after other dwarves that they resemble in appearance or personality.
Where to go for Dwarven names
Axe and Bow – Where Tolkien got his Dwarf-Names from.
Viking Names found in Landnámabók
- (LotR) The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien, Appendix F – Of Other Races
- (PME) The Peoples of Middle-earth by Tolkien, The Appendix on Languages