One of the most important aspects of building a character in Tolkien’s world is the character’s name. The name of the character speaks of the character’s history, culture, personality, present, and occationally, its future. Many fan writers try (and fail) to do this, so here is a few pages devoted to helping authors find Tolkienesque names for their characters.
- Elven Naming Traditions of Valinor
- Elven Naming Traditions of Middle-earth
- Númenóreans’ Naming Traditions
- Rohirrim’s Naming Traditions
- Hobbits’ Naming Traditions
- Dwarven Naming traditions
After reading up on the culture’s naming traditions, go to the Name Lists and choose a name; or go to the Translation Requests page for guidelines on how to request a name, then go to the forums to make your request!