First stop: Naming Traditions, so you know what language the names you chose will be in and what sort of name you’re looking for.
If you don’t care: go to the Random Name Generator.
Quenya Name List
For the Noldor dwelling in Valinor and in Middle-earth, and the Gondorian Kings and Queens.
Exilic-Sindarin Name List (WIP)
For exiled Noldorin Elves adjusting to their new Sindarin language in Middle-earth during the First Age and the people who want to be named after Noldorin Elves.
Adûnaic Name List
For Númenóreans living on Númenor during the Second Age and the Dúnedain during the beginning of the Third Age.
For the Elves, Númenóreans, and Gondorians of the First through Fourth Ages living in Middle-earth.
Old English Namelists
For the Rohirrim.
For all things creepy, icky, and from Mordor.
Names from the Books: (WIP)
For your information.
- Now We’ve All Got Elvish Names: For us, in Quenya.
- quenya lapseparma: For us, in Quenya.
- The Council of Elrond Elvish Names: For us, in Quenya, Sindarin, and Old English.
- Behind the Name: English Names: For Hobbits. This website wasn’t made for Middle-earth fiction writers; it’s a website that tells the history of names and their meaning. Please don’t use the names with roots that are biblical or not Old English.
- Behind the Name: Norse Names: For Dwarves and the people of Dale.
- Behind the Name: Anglo-Saxon Names: For the Rohirrim.
- Axe and Bow – Where Tolkien got his Dwarf-Names from: For Dwarves and the people of Dale.
- Viking Names found in Landnámabók: For Dwarves and the people of Dale.
If you would like a custom made name, go to Translation Requests and fill out the questionnaire.