If you need help figuring out what languages to use, or what types of names you’ll need, read the Naming Traditions page first.
Old Namelists: Because many of the fancy new namelist-databases haven’t been completed yet (and take a very long time to finish) here are the old namelists off of the old version of the website. These will stay up until the new name databases are completed.
- (under construction) Quenya Name List: For the Noldor dwelling in Valinor and in Middle-earth, and the Gondorian Kings and Queens.
- (under construction) Exilic-Sindarin Name List: For exiled Noldorin Elves adjusting to their new Sindarin language in Middle-earth during the First Age and the people who want to be named after Noldorin Elves.
- Adûnaic Name List: For Númenóreans living on Númenor during the Second Age and the Dúnedain during the beginning of the Third Age.
- Sindarin Namelists: For the Elves, Númenóreans, and Gondorians of the First through Fourth Ages living in Middle-earth.
- Old English Namelists: For the Rohirrim.
- Orcish Names: For all things creepy, icky, and from Mordor.
- Names from the Books: For your information.
- Our Sindarin Names: For our own enjoyment, NOT FOR NAMING CHARACTERS OF ARDA!
- Now We’ve All Got Elvish Names: For us, in Quenya.
- quenya lapseparma: For us, in Quenya.
- The Council of Elrond Elvish Names: For us, in Quenya, Sindarin, and Old English.
- Behind the Name: English Names: For Hobbits. This website wasn’t made for Middle-earth fiction writers; it’s a website that tells the history of names and their meaning. Please don’t use the names with roots that are biblical or not Old English.
- Behind the Name: Norse Names: For Dwarves and the people of Dale.
- Behind the Name: Anglo-Saxon Names: For the Rohirrim.
- Axe and Bow – Where Tolkien got his Dwarf-Names from: For Dwarves and the people of Dale.
- The Old Norse Language: For Dwarves and the people of Dale.
- Viking Names found in Landnámabók: For Dwarves and the people of Dale.
If you would like a custom made name, go to Translation Requests and fill out the questionnaire, or visit the forum.